Monday, December 2, 2013

A tribute

I took this picture with my iPhone last Tuesday and posted it on Instagram, where I later found out that Saul Leiter had passed away the same day. I thought it an amazing coincidence. Every now and again I take a picture and I can see as I frame it that I'm trying to channel Leiter's amazing (and in my humble opinion the best) eye, and this was one of those times. No other photographer's images has such an emotional impact on me and has me sighing in respect - the man took PERFECT pictures. He also seemed like a very nice man who didn't understand why people were making such a fuss about his photographs.

Here's one of my favourite quotes of his:
"In order to build a career and be successful, one has to be determined. One has to be ambitious. I much prefer to drink coffee,  listen to music and to paint when I feel like it."

Read the Guardian obit here
And here's a little film of him walking around his on retrospective in Hamburg last year (I so hope it'll be shown here one day). The documentary In no great hurry will very soon be out on DVD, in the mean time there are some screening dates here.

Saul Leiter
1923-2013
RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment